The World Meeting of Families 2018 (WMOF2018) will be held in Dublin from 22 to 26 August 2018 on the theme of ‘The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World’. Pope Francis intends WMF18 to be a great meeting of families which, rooted in Amoris Laetitia, will provide a global platform for the Pope’s vision for the relaunch and rediscovery of marriage and family life in the modern world, heralding a new approach to marriage preparation and on-going accompaniment.
‘Does the Family continue to be good news for today’s world? I am sure the answer is yes! And this yes if firmly based on God’s plan.’
Theme – The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World
The World Meeting of Families 2018 (WMOF2018) will be held in Dublin from 22 to 26 August 2018 on the theme of ‘The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World’.
- The Holy Father intends WMF18 to be a great meeting of families which, rooted in Amoris Laetitia, will provide a global platform for the Pope’s vision for the relaunch and rediscovery of marriage and family life in the modern world, heralding a new approach to marriage preparation and on-going accompaniment.
- WMF18 will comprise:
- A three-day Theological-Pastoral Congress from Wed to Fri 22-24 with a programme of keynote speakers, workshops, talks and discussions
- Followed on Sat 25 by the Festival of Families: a special concert-style event with music, prayer and testimonies
- concluding on Sunday 26 with a solemn Eucharistic Celebration
- Archbishop Diarmuid Martin fully expects the Holy Father to be in Dublin to preside over the celebrations on 25 and 26 August. The Pope himself has said ‘Peter will be there’!
Pre-WMOF2018 Catechetical Preparation Materials, From Aug 2017- Aug 2018
Amoris Laetitia will provide the main compass for informing WMF18 – preceded by a year-long global journey of catechetical preparation entitled Amoris: Let’s Talk Family, Let’s Be Family which will be launched in Ireland and across the world on 21 August 2017.
- The Amoris faith development initiative is the response to Pope Francis’ invitation to reflect on love, marriage and family in preparation for WMOF2018 and will draw on the themes of Amoris Laetitia and include an interactive multi-media catechetical platform of free downloadable resources and promotional materials for use by parishes, families and organisations. These include:
- 6-stage parish programme of practical outreach initiatives with family activities
- series of ½ hr TV studio audience programmes, with videos and panel discussions with experts from around the world
- on-line website/social media for international audiences
- digital animations on Amoris Laetitia themes
- series of live events hosted round Ireland in the lead up to WMF2018, recorded for global viewing
Who is the material for? Where? Homes, Parishes, Schools, Chaplaincies
The free, interactive, multi-media, downloadable catechetical resources are designed for use in a variety of diocesan settings including homes, parishes, schools and chaplaincies (prisons, hospitals, schools and specialist groups) and will be ‘going live’ from 21st August 2017. The live-feeds will also be available from the Amoris digital platform on http://www.worldmeeting2018.ie , http://www.cbcew.org.uk/CBCEW-Home/News-and-Media http://www.catholicfamily.org.uk/
- FAMILIAS In the lead up to August 2018, FAMILIAS (Association for Catholic Diocesan Marriage and Family Ministry in England & Wales) will devote their annual ‘Friends Event’ regional study days to the Amoris: Let’s talk family, Let’s be family Dates to be confirmed.
- The full advance registration cost for WMF18 is €68 per person (this includes a pilgrim pack, attendance at the Congress, and a guaranteed ticket to the Festival of Families and the Sunday Mass)
- Children and young adults go free as long as they are registered with an adult. Youth and children events and activities throughout Congress.
- There will be over 20,000 rooms available in Dublin to fit a range of budgets in hotels, private homes, hostels, university accommodation, B&B’s etc.
- Individual and group ‘registration-hotel booking-combined’ will be possible through the WMF2018 website (See details under ‘Registration’ p.2 of this Information document)
- There will be disabled access at all the sites for both the congress and the weekend events
Registration (for both WMOF2018 and Hotel Booking)
- Opens on 12th July 2017, with a range of cost-options for accommodation for diocesan/parish groups, families, and individuals. All major WMOF sites are fully accessible.
- In collaboration with their bishops, Diocesan Co-ordinators for Family Ministry will be the key contacts for signposting to information and support for diocesan group bookings. Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The MFL office will be making a central group booking for Bishop Peter Doyle, the MFL team and a number of MFL Coordinators from England and Wales who will be part of the presenting team at WMOF2018. CBCEW will pay the invoice initially and recoup the monies from the sponsoring dioceses.
Official WMOF2018 Hymn
- You can watch and listen to the recording and download the music for the official WMOF2018 hymn, lyrics based on St Paul’s letter to the Corinthians, as expounded by Pope Francis in Amoris Laetitia, The Joy of Love ( #90-119) at http://www.worldmeeting2018.ie/hymn/
- Website and Social Media You can sign up for the WMOF2018 Newsletter at http://www.worldmeeting2018.ie Twitter Feed @WMOF2018 and Facebook.